Friday, February 5, 2010

The Matterhorn

Matterhorn

Somehow, and I have no idea how, I had never photographed the Matterhorn prior to my last visit. This trip though I couldn't stop noticing it. Maybe the blue of the skies made it jump out? Who knows. I'm glad I noticed this angle though. I like seeing the 1/100 scale Matterhorn loom over the relatively tiny Fantasyland village.

I don't know if people always realize that the Matterhorn is a part of Fantasyland, not Tomorrowland (it changed in the early 70s). It's right on the edge. The bobsleds of the ride take you up eight stories and then plunge you right back down in a jaw jarring fashion. Keep an eye out for the abominable snowman who has been surviving renovations since 1978.

More Matterhorn tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I love the ride. And I've never noticed the abominable snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely against that sky ~ and those bobsled rides sound like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petrea - Here's a great pic of him: http://www.davelandweb.com/matterhorn/popup.htm?images/DSC_5276.jpg

    Shell - they are a bit jarring, but they are waaaay fun. :D Not a ride I can do after a lot of food though. ;)

    ReplyDelete